Nov 23, 2007

Non Je Ne Regrette Rien

Yesterday I was listening to Yahoo Music when Le Vie En Rose was played. I am familiar with the song since it was played in our house when I was a kid on a weekend basis. I think it was one of my father’s favorite instrumental song. Yesterday, it was played with a lyrics on it. I already knew it was sung my Edith Piaf because I have seen the movie La Mome last September during the European Film Festival in Cebu City.

La Mome is a movie about the tragic life of one of France’s most beloved singer, Edith Piaf. She lived a very extraordinary life, loved intensely, stood up after each fall and faced life drawing strength from each of her songs. Her song Non Je Ne Regrette Rien (No, I Regret Nothing) was played at the end part of the movie, and believe me, everyone in the movie house was crying.

Although she lived a questionable lifestyle, her devotion to St. Therese of Lisieux, who cured her of her blindness when she was a child, was very strong. She was an irony herself. I bet, when she learned that the Archbishop of Paris refused to give her a funeral mass, she would still sing Non Je Ne Regrette Rien.

No comments: