Sep 25, 2007

When Angels Come, They Come In Pair

Today is Irene's (a.k.a. Wildflower/Gorgeoushoney) birthday. And I want to tell a story.

It was the first day of September and I was feeling nostalgic as I walked alone in the oldest street of the Philippines. I left Cebu ten months earlier and I never planned to be back that fast. Honestly, it never occurred to me I could again set my foot on that very familiar street. Everyday, for the last ten years of my life (minus the latest ten months), I was in Colon Street for one reason or another.


I was there to pick up my mail straight from the forwarder's office. Guess, I was too impatient to wait for it to be delivered directly to where I stayed. Then I stopped by an internet café to make a quick entry on my blog and then went uptown to pick my plane ticket. I was due to leave for Manila late in the afternoon that day. After I got my ticket I went to the police station to drop some documents inadvertently released to me by a careless employee. Since it was a Saturday and I was running out of time, the police station was the best option available to return the obviously very important document to its rightful owner. It's about passing the kindness forward. Bwahahaha!

Before noon, I went back to Brusha’s place to pick up my baggage and took a quick bath. The bath was so refreshing my day would have been perfect until I discovered I was missing something. I unpacked my neatly packed backpacks including my sling bag, retraced my steps and mentally reenacted the last 30 minutes of my life and yet, I failed to find my wallet! Everything was there in my wallet! My lifeblood was there in that wallet!

I tried to control my panic by packing my backpacks again. I dare not count the money inside my coin purse because I know it will never be enough for the airport's terminal fee, no, not even for my taxi. I was in that state when my phone rang. My travel mate called and said she wanted to give me something before I'll leave for Manila. We agreed we'll meet in SM. I was on the bus when the reality started to sinked in: I was penniless. When my travel mate called again and asked if we could meet in Ayala because parking in SM was impossible, I told her my coins will only permit me for as far as SM. Then I told her my story.

We were circling around the South Reclamation Area trying to find a way out of my situation. My travel mate has only 500 bucks enough for her car to bring us whereever it was we were going. It was already 3pm and my plane was due to leave at 5.55pm. My stomach was already used to skipping meals. In the last two weeks, eating meals on time was a luxury I can hardly afford. I texted Josy and Irene about what happened. And for what seemed like an eternity, the silence of my cellphone was nauseating.

We were heading towards the old Mactan Bridge when my phone vibrated bringing in hope in what looked like a hopeless situation. Irene told me to meet her in Ayala while Josy said that I go to her house. When time is of the essence, timing is everything. Before 3pm was over, I already have 2000 pesos in my pocket (1000 bucks each from Irene and Josy), a smile in my lips and chopsticks in my hands chewing dumplings while crossing the old Mactan Bridge.

On how my day ended? I'll save it for my next blog. Right now I want to thank Irene not because it's her birthday today but because she was there.



The Two Angels: Josy and
the Birthday Girl


Thank you for listening to me while I cried my heart out over the phone.

Thank you for the Glutathione soap.

Thank you for putting your name at risk for me.

Thank you for lending me the money without second thoughts.

Thank you for the lunch you and Josy bought for me.

Thank you for the trust.

Thank you for the friendship.

Thank you for all those times prior to September 1.

No comments: