Sep 23, 2007

The Country Mouse Went To The Big City

Also this time last month, I was inside a bank with an empty stomach, 4 pieces of 100-peso bills in my coin purse, and my atm card confiscated by the bank in a place called Manila. Felt like I was stranded in an island with no way out.

Earlier, I was due to meet a high school friend in Robinsons. Before that I dropped by an atm machine for some cash. Then the unexpected happened: my card was captured. While I silently thanked that the day was not a Friday otherwise I'll go hungry for the rest of the weekend, I was devastated when the bank personnel told me they can't possibly release my card because it is a "hot card". A hot card is a card reported as either stolen, lost or missing the bank personnel explained. I never reported it as missing and how in the world could I possibly stole my own card? So it goes that while my stomach shouted "grok! grok!", my cellphone sounded its last beep before its battery became empty. The country mouse is now in the big city with 400 bucks, an empty stomach and a useless cellphone. So much about lightning striking thrice.

It was good that Michelle, the bank personnel, was very helpful. I made a few phone calls at her suggestion and saw glimmer of hopes after each call. My bank explained that they have sent me bank statements to my last known address in Cebu and all were sent back to their office because the occupants have moved out. Hence, they declared my card as hot card. Thank you very much!

It was past 5pm when I finally got my much needed cash. My appointment with a high school friend having been cancelled, I immediately proceeded to Makati to meet my travel mate. While her day went along fine, she laughed symphathetically at my story. She said it was good that I met an angel in Michelle and that it's not everyday that a helping hand comes along when needed. Don't worry, I said, I'll pass the kindness forward.

From Buendia, we boarded a bus for Baclaran. We thought we could squeeze a quick church visit with our remaining time. Little did we know that the bus would pass by the Mall of Asia. As the sight of the giant mall flashed before us, we exchanged glances of agreement and immediately unboarded. Thanking the one who sent the angel earlier in the day and passing the kindness forward could wait. That time, the Mall of Asia was a welcome temptation.





No comments: