Aug 14, 2007

Freedom In Prison

The first time I was in jail was more than 5 years ago. I was doing a research on youthful offenders that time and the complexity of the subject always brought me back to jail every weekend. Seeing the over-crowded jails always drained me of my reserved energies and weekends started to get blurred. I was only too glad when my research ended and my life went back to normal. That was in Cebu.

At present I still get myself near some jails but not as big as the jails I went in with some 5 years ago. Good thing is I don't smell any odor anymore when I'm with the prisoners. In a sleepy town like ours where everybody knows everybody, it is a common thing to meet inmates outside their cells. Sometimes we'd do our pep talks at a sari-sari store while watching a boxing match on tv. There were times we'd exchange greetings inside a jeepney. Some of them would even go out of jail for weeks and return as soon as they sold out their farms produce. Out of the ordinary situations but its true. Onli in da Pilipins.

Recently, an incredible mass dance by prisoners in Cebu is hitting the internet. I can't help but think if I knew some of the dancers. Perhaps some of them were my former subjects. Hehehe! Specially, I can't help but be proud that I came from a race that is best known for its sunny disposition.

I couldn't start to imagine how the personnel of CPDRC managed to successfully pull out such gigantic activity. But I believe having Filipinos as participants made it possible and more easy.

I don't really want to enumerate the best traits of Filipinos here. At least, not now. I don't have time to do an ego-tripping in behalf of my countrymen. It's just that, the dance performed by the inmates in Cebu made me think a little...

"If the 1,000-something inmates who were allegedly lacking in moral turpitude can dance together as one to the tune of a single song, why can't a president, 23 senators and 237 congressmen unite and pursue a common objective?"

Don't answer my question. Just watch the video and have a good time.

1 comment:

Gorgeoushoney said...

Yami dear, "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in raising every time you fail." ---im sure the angels sung in unison as they danced too. ((smiles))