Aug 8, 2007

The Adventure Island Part 3

I can feel that we are on the “it” place when our battered boat started to shake. The waves hammered angrily at the boat as we ran faster to keep up with the speed of the current. I think no single person is dry inside the boat.

I was trying to assess the situation when it suddenly occurred to me that this could be my D-Day! Fine. So be it. I will go with dignity and I should not chicken out. Bah! I closed my eyes and conversed with myself.

‘Overcome your fears and think of the good times.’ says myself.

‘Which one? There were many.’ says me.

‘Think of a funny one.’

‘The man dressed like a priest carrying a cheap wooden cross asking for money in the pier, I think that was funny.’

‘Yeah, that was. Think more.’

‘I can’t concentrate, the boat is rocking like a maniac.’

‘Sing a song’

‘I see trees of green, red roses too. I see them bloom for me and you. And I think
to myself, what a wonderful world’

‘No, no, not that song. Sing something lively.’

‘You want me to sing My Humps?’

‘No, I don’t think you know its lyrics. How about Buttercup?’

‘I don’t know its lyrics. You really think we are going to sink?’

‘Nope.’

‘Why?’

‘The worst is over. And if you will open your eyes, you will know that I am telling
the truth.’


I felt silly when I opened my eyes. Some of the passengers were talking like nothing happened, others were eating yellow corns reminding me of my lunch-deprived stomach. I think I just missed something beautiful and wonderful when I closed my eyes. It was the waves I came here for and I can’t believe I closed my eyes when the waves were at its best. For the nth time in my life I felt stupid. And, for the first time in my glorious and colorful sailing history, I want to puke.

I went outside and stood by the deck for a time. The waves are calmer now although the splashing continues. I have never seen so many islands surrounding me before. This scene is a classic, I thought. As we were approaching the island destination, I was disturbed by something I couldn’t figure out what. Something is wrong with the island, I observed. ‘What is it? What is it?’ I asked myself. The shores are calm almost dead. There were no movements. I wondered where was the surfing area.

After we docked, I immediately looked for a reloading station to bring back to life my communication with the world. As expected it took me a lifetime to look for a reloading station. I was prepared for that. What I was not prepared was the answer given to me by a local when I asked her where I was.

Unlock keypad. Write Message.

“Bru, I just landed safe and in one piece. But, I boarded the wrong boat and of course I landed on the wrong island. The next boat out of here is tomorrow dawn.”


Sent Message. Lock keypad. Phone vibrates. Unlock keypad. Read Message.

“Its great that you are safe bru but…..Bwahahahahaha!!!! Ahem. Sorry.”


Reread the message. Swear a little. Lock keypad. Contemplates on throwing the cellphone to the waveless f*****g shores.

The local informed me that I am in the island of Socorro. The surfing capital of my beloved country is found in Dapa Island, municipality of Gen. Luna. Dapa is an hour trip from Socorro and the next boat will leave at dawn on the next day.




Great!


The sun is almost done. I sat under a tree with my damp backpack staring at the horizon watching the sun sets. The disappearing sun reminded me of the yellow corn and the yellow corn reminded me of my empty stomach. I need to eat before I’ll press the panic button. Perhaps my chances of survival will be high if I'll panic with a full stomach.

No comments: