Jun 21, 2007

Wedding Vows For A Friend

After spending time with a friend I haven’t seen for 17 years, he had to leave to make preparations for his June wedding somewhere in the land of the sweetest people. Days after he left, he sent me the following text message:

“Yam, I intend to ask you personally but it skipped me because we talked non-stop. Can you please make my wedding vows? I want you to have a special part in my wedding. Thanks.”

It’s the most unusual favor I’ve ever been asked to do. Never in my wildest dream did I ever think that I’d write a wedding vow for someone else. I’ve done so many unimaginable things for my friends in the past, things that would make my family gasp in horror should they ever find out. But writing a wedding vow for someone is a totally different thing.

Don’t get me wrong. I am very honored to write his wedding vows. I am more honored on the thought that I’d be a part of his wedding despite my physical absence. It indicates how he cared for our friendship the way that I do. But, man, I have no idea how to do it. I am, literally, facing a blank wall, er, a blank monitor.

I know I need to have it done before his wedding otherwise it won’t be making any sense. And so, as a gesture of affection for a friend on his wedding day, I summoned all sides of my brain to come up with words (and numbers!) befitting for a man who is in love and is ready to march down the road so frequently traveled by people who frequently lost their minds. Harharhar! Honestly, it took me days and weeks to finish his three-sentenced-one-paragraph wedding vows. He didnt know what kind of hell I have been through doing it that I swear if he'll ask for the same favor again, I will kick his sorry ass. Hehehehe!

My friend, as you march down the aisle today, I cheer and rejoice and clap my hands at your new found life and love. This day marks the end of your Palaboy days. Somehow, I am sad about it but, friend, I’m happy because at last you are home. Please don’t falter as you say your wedding vows, I’ve been through so much hell doing it, just…just do it right, ok?

Best Wishes and God Bless you and your bride.





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

bru my heart skipped coz i thought he was gonna ask you to marry you. bwahahaha!!!