Jun 27, 2007

The Day I Saw Her Last

We were classmates since first grade. Every recess period, we would hang out by the school’s main gate to get a glimpse of the Mayor’s son. One day, she excitedly ran towards me and with panting breath said, “Yami! Yami! Iyang si Marlou Ro****?¹ Adoptation iyan!(sic)”². From that day on as far as I can remember, we stopped hanging out by the school’s main gate. We were seven years old.

We spent most of our times together when we were kids. She taught me how to collect stamps and stationeries, including hello kitty and snoopy stuffs. She was a regular in our house while I never knew where she lived until we were in high school. It was only later when I learned that she was the eldest of three siblings and that she lost her father when she was 5 years old. Her mother remarried shortly after her father’s death. With a bubbly person like her, it’s hard to believe she has been through so much at such an early age.

We lost contact after high school. I heard she married a drunkard and had two kids with him. Regularly she’d take in laundry from her neighbors and got battered by her husband every once in a while. Talk has it that her husband once brought home a mistress which resulted in a heated argument and ended in violent beatings. Knowing her, I dismissed the talks as an exaggeration of something completely unbelievable.

Years later when I was home on vacation, a woman almost stumbled as she made her way towards me. She was so skinny with bulging big eyes and two of her front teeth were missing. I guess it took me a lifetime to recognize it was her. She literally looked like a beggar that day. Her dress worn out from too much and prolonged use. I felt she was surprised when I hugged her the instant I realized it was her talking in front of me . She cried while I was speechless all throughout our conversation. The talks were all true.

Every time I remember the day we last met, guilt strikes me no end. I was so sorry I saw two big bulging eyes instead of the sadness that was in it. I was so stupid her old faded clothes caught my attention instead of the ailing body underneath it. I was a fool when I observed a skinny body instead of the dying spirit within her. My insensitivity was simply unforgivable.

I’m sorry I was not much of a friend to someone who was in need. If only I could find her boys and see what I can do to help. Maybe that would ease my burden of guilt. Somehow.

CHERYL GRACE C. de JESUS, 1976–2006. In memoriam.

___________________________________________________________________________

¹ I’m sorry Marlou, but it is really necessary to mention your name. Peace.
² Yami! Yami! Marlou Ro**** is adoptation! (she meant Marlou Ro**** was an adopted son)







1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are a great person. Don't feel guilty about your friend. If she is in heaven with God right now, then she is happy and she can no longer feel the pain anymore. And she might be smiling to know that she got a good friend in you.

Btw, I love to read your blog. It is well-written as always..