Aug 3, 2007

Sense of Wonder


I just came from a 2-city tour and island hopping galore. It was both an adventurous and humorous trip that I would have wanted it to last a little longer if it were not for a pressing business that requires my immediate presence back in the mainland. Looking back, I'm glad I made the trip even if it's against all odds.

There was a time in the last quarter of last year when I confided to a travelmate that I felt I am losing my "sense of wonder". That time, I was convinced that nothing and no one impresses me anymore. My travelmate shook her head and said, "Yam, that sounds tragic."

She was right. There is nothing more tragic than when a person is indifferent towards everything. Indifference spells tragedy. The world may continue to go round but it is seen in black and white. The sunsets are without color, the sea lifeless and the wind motionless. Music is played on the same repeated notes and the faces of both strangers and friends become identical. Existence without thrill and excitement is a lonely tragedy.

I didn't know how, when, and why it happened to me. Perhaps I had my hands full too much too soon. Burned out? Perhaps. Fed up? Maybe. But geez...

I'm glad it was short-lived. I maybe losing my "sense of wonder" but who says I completely lost it? The trip I made this week proves I am still capable of exhibiting "amazement" even to the most insignificant things around me. The indifference is slowly exiting out of my system.

Before I will tell you about the trip that was instrumental in bringing back my "sense of wonder", let me thank the following:

Merle and Ellene for providing a roof over my head in Butuan City. I never appreciated Butuan City before the way I appreciate it now after you dragged me into its downtown.

Jenny for being so generous with her time and for talking nonstop while showing me Surigao City.

Amor, Cathy, William, Engr. Dodong -acquaintances I met in Socorro Island (one of the island in Siargao, Surigao City)- specially to a dearest long-time friend, Aldie Mae , for feeding me with meaty informations and for providing a roof over my head.

The beautiful and good-natured people of the Island of Socorro, people I was with in the buses, the boats, piers, terminals, the streets.

I am grateful I made the trip.

No comments: