Aug 10, 2007

The Adventure Island Part 4

I burped before the sun bade its farewell for the day. I just had my first meal of the day from what seemed to be the only eatery in the island. I was so busy thinking how am I going do my “panic” that the food tasted so bland and the eating was almost mechanical. It’s been an hour since I landed and my friend has not yet responded to the announcement I made of my arrival. I sat back under the tree and stared across the now darken horizon.

Reality check:
Are you scared?
- Nope
What do you fear most right now?
- That I’ll get out of this island safe and sound but not having fun.
How are you holding on?
-Holding on well.
How are you?
- Excited to know how this day will end.
You think your friend will come and get you?
- Absolutely. She’ll come running.

Honestly, I never felt so alone and so isolated in my entire life. I was stranded in a strange island with nothing but my backpack and the only living person who knew where I was has but the barest idea of what I have gotten myself into. Another hour has passed and the only single soul who could rescue me has not yet arrived and has shown no indication that she will arrive. This day is going to be a lot of fun, I thought.

I was in my deep reverie when an old woman approached to sell me some steamed peanuts. She said she can tell that I am not an islander because it's the first time she saw me in their place. Although I contained myself to only "Yes", "No" and "Ahhs" it was not long after that the other islanders started swarming around us. I told them the story of my day and how I ended in their island. They were symphatic although they can not hide their amusements at my stupidity.

The people of Socorro impressed me. Their dialect sounds familiar and it took me a while to identify that they sounded like my father's. Their courteous accent made me nostalgic that for a moment I thought I was in my father's farm. They are a proud people. They are proud of what they are and what they have. Like most Filipinos, they smile all the time. Before my friend arrived to pick me up, at least 3 men offered me a place to stay. Ang haba ng hair ko! I think it was made in good faith because they even asked the old woman who was selling peanuts to vouched for their Good Moral Character. Honestly, I never really suspected that they mean me any harm. I am thankful that I was treated like I'm one of their own. They must have been offended when I kept the peanuts they gave me. I wanted to tell them that I am allergic to peanuts and I can't possibly get sick in a strange island. At least not now.

When my friend arrived, I think she was half hysterical. She got my message two hours late and I guess she ran at a speed of 500 kilometer per hour just to get to where I am. Faster than the speed of light. Friends are like that. They'll always come running.

The moon was full and it looked wonderful from the rooftop where I recounted my day to my friend and my new acquiantances. And my long day ended shortly after another has began.

The Friend that made my trip possible:



And the acquaintance that made my trip more fun and informative:



And the beautiful people of Socorro Island, for the breath of fresh air :



Thank you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yam! I enjoyed reading about your recent trip. You boarded on a wrong boat (what happened to your eyes? duh! just kidding!), the waves were disturbing, and obviously, you landed on a strange island, yet you remained calm. If I was on that situation, I would freak out... maybe panic. I salute! You are a brave person. That was a pretty cool experience. Cherish it....