May 23, 2008

Coffee Talks


Suddenly I wanted to live to be a hundred. My view from the terrace of the high-rise skyscrapers surrounding the pension house I was staying with Kit made me wish to be somewhere else. I have always wanted to be forever young…

I once had a talk with an intimate soul about us growing old. While the present circumstances prevented us from being together, we thought it would be possible for us to spend the rest of our December years united and one. Fifty years from now or so…

We saw ourselves limping (not walking) by the beach as we hurried to watch one of the last sunsets of our lives. Our aging bones deprived of its vigor and strength will carry us through as we walk hand in hand trying to make up for those times we spent apart. I’d sip my cold coffee as he puffs his nth stick of cigarette of the day while we try to know each other again, noting the changes and what stayed the same. We believe that we’d be surprised to know at how far we have changed while in separation and we will be equally amazed as we discover we never changed a bit after fifty years.

We are two souls meant to be united as one but who chose to live freely from each other. We will glide separately through space and time searching the earth for its beauty and purpose, enriching ourselves with wisdom and experience, completing ourselves for each other in time for our eventual reunion.

Life is worth living when there is something to look forward to. As I drew my last puff, my coffee runs cold…

No comments: