Feb 18, 2008

A Rose That Is Vanessa

She was a seatmate in 6th grade. Before that I never know what we were. All I know is that after we became seatmates, she has always been there for me...

She was there in almost all the major blows I encountered. She reminds me of the poem "Footprints On The Sand". Not that I equate her with God. It's just that during the most turbulent periods in my life where life was brutally unfair, she was there. Always. On the contrary, I was never there for her when she needed me. I was always the late-comer. I always arrived when the storm in her life has passed.

She cried as much as I did in the summer of '92. We never spoke about my pain but I know she felt it each time I browse our family album and saw her picture with ultra-red eyes from too much crying. She was there but I never realized it then.

For me, our friendship started when an astounding blow hit me one day. I was as shock as everyone else that nobody dared to talk to me and I never uttered a single word to anyone. I head for the convent ( a place nearby we used as a play ground) wishing to be alone but she followed. We sat meters apart without uttering a single word for a long time until she moved closer, put her hands on my shoulder and make me lean on hers. I sobbed while she cried. Words were useless. She was there and I will always cherish that moment.

Many blows after that and she was always there. While I never knew her own struggles I think she made it her business to know mine. And she'd arrive at the most opportune time. More than a year ago, she held my hand gently as we walked towards the restaurant when the news of my latest blow came in. Then a realization hit me, how come she is always there for me? We talked until dawn as I tried to appear strong and unaffected about the bad news. In the morning, she knocked at our hotel room with a bag full of dvd copy of movies that would interest me. She made me promise to watch those movies. I guess she sensed that depression will set in the next few days and those movies are good tactical diversion.

My heart is overflowing with gratitude to someone who sent me Vanessa. I always said that the greatest gift I received in this lifetime is my family and friends. And Vanessa is one of the best gifts I ever had in my life. I am lucky. But I don't know if she is as lucky as I am.

Happy birthday, Friend. Please allow me to publish this tribute to you to honor you and the friendship we both hold sacred. Sorry if you have to travel overseas just to be with me on my own birthday two weeks from now in one of the world's most beautiful island. See you soon.



SOMEDAY
By: Sugar Ray

Someday
When my life has passed me by
I'll lay around and wonder why you were always there for me
One way
In the eyes of a passerby
I'll look around for another try
And'll fade away

[Chorus]

Just close your eyes and I'll take you there
This place is war without a care
We'll take a swim in the deep blue sea
I go to leave as you reach for me
Some say
Better things will come our way
No matter what they try to say you were always there for me
Someway
When the sun begins to shine
I hear a song from another time
And'll fade away
And'll fade away

[Chorus]

So far, so long, so far away
So far, so long, so far away (away, away)
Someday
When my life has passed me by
I'll lay around and wonder why you were always there for me
One way
In the eyes of a passerby
I'll look around for another try
And'll fade away
And'll fade away
And'll fade away
And'll fade away
And'll fade away
And'll fade away
(someday)
And'll fade away

No comments: